Spring is in the Air Photoshop Tutorial and add sky
Spring is in the Air Photoshop Tutorial
If you like this Image, wait until you see how it was made with a little Photoshop Magic. Here are some of Kelly’s Photoshop Secrets … PSD Tutorial with two parts : Smooth out background, add a blue sky to a plain blue background.
BASIC PHOTOSHOP CS6 WORKFLOW: Please note: this PSD tutorial is not for beginners. Must have photoshop experience and understand the concept of a painting with a mask, and using layers.
Here is the image before PSD ( unedited version- yikes!) **Most of the time, the shadows and wrinkles in the fleece blanket can be smoothed out ahead of time and clipped down tighter to help, however this image was taken on a messy background. I will demonstrate in this tutorial how to smooth it out in photoshop.
Fleece backgrounds are prone to wrinkle and show pock marks when photographed. However, for me they are still a practical solution. Fleece blankets can be picked up at the dollar store in almost every color and kittens love to play on the soft surface and they are washable and re-usable.
**Sometimes the only thing you need to do is use the guassian blur tool to smooth out the pock marks in the fleece, but in the case of big wrinkles, painting may be the best option.
Here is the workflow to smooth out the background:
1. Open image in Photoshop that needs the background to be smoothed out. Press ctrl j to duplicate the image. Use the select tool and select the background only.
2. With all background area selected, press alt-j to duplicate it on its own layer. Click the eye so that the background is the only layer to see.
3. On the background layer select the empty transparent space, then go to select>inverse. Click on paint brush tool and choose soft brush. Use the eye dropper on background color to color match the blue background and begin painting to smooth out wrinkles for a uniform color. When done painting background, deselect by typing ctrl>d at same time. Go to filter>blur>guassian blur. try radius of 25, it will smooth the edges.click ok.
4. Add a layer mask to the background layer by clicking the rectangle with the circle at bottom of layers pallette. Press D to change colorchip to black. Click on eye on layer beneath to show subject. Click on paint brush tool, adjust the flow to 50% and paint any areas that may have blurred edges showing on your subject. Crop and save as PSD file with layers.
NOW, Let’s make Beautiful BETTER! Go out and photograph the beautiful blue sky, with a few clouds (raw) and start Part 2. PSD Tutorial: add a blue sky SIMPLE SKY TUTORIAL *for blue backgrounds only
1. Open image in Photoshop that needs the Simple Sky tutorial – only works on images with a blue background, Go to bridge and choose your sky image, drag onto the open file as the top layer. Change the opacity of sky layer to 50%.
2. Add an adjustment layer>saturation. Change saturation of sky to match your correct shade of your blue background.
3.Use a clipping mask to clip saturation layer to sky layer. 3. Add mask to the sky layer
4. Get black paint brush and paint the subject back in, using a soft brush and flow of 50%. Done. Save as PSD file with layers.
This Image is one of many beautiful kitten hammock images that can be found in the image-bank 2016 Spring Collection.
EQUIPMENT/PHOTOSHOOT: Canon Mark II EOS 5D, Canon Macro Lens EF 100 mm L IS 2.8 SETTINGS: F 2.8 SS 125 ISO 100, shoot in RAW. Shoot gray card and custom set white balance. Lighting set-up: Window light with 1 monolight flash bounce off ceiling. Homemade hammock, blue fleece blanket background. one sleepy kitten and an awesome assistant (my daughter!)
Following is another cute image that lends itself to a beautiful blue SKY! This image is one from a shoot of several butterfly net images that can be found in the image-bank in the 2016 Spring Kitten Collection.